Bitte oder Registrieren, um Beiträge und Themen zu erstellen.

Gukesh

Gukesh, Sarin, Pragg – und Keymer

Gukesh!

Susan Ninan Profile picture
7h 10 tweets 3 min read Twitter logo Read on Twitter

"Until early last year, the top guys saw me a prospect. Now, I'm a colleague, maybe even a rival.”

Ahead of Fide World Cup, India's 17 yr-old chess superstar Gukesh, youngest-ever to cross 2750 Elo, spoke to me on goals, records & regrets and why he loves Djokovic
For @htTweets Image

@vishy64theking on Gukesh: "2750 is a huge accomplishment. It’s quite clear that at some point he might just shoot past me. I’m quite relaxed about it, even proud. To wake up one day and realise I'm not the No 1 rated player in India might be a funny feeling.” Image
Gukesh is now just 3.1 points behind Anand. “He’s my idol, my biggest hero. So just to be able to go past him in the ratings at some point would be really nice. Of course, I’m nowhere close to his achievements.”
The most perceptible recent spike in Gukesh’s growth trajectory happened at last year’s Olympiad. He dazzled with eight wins in eight rounds and earned an individual gold. It instantly separated him from the ultra-talented throng of fellow teen Indian GMs.
Gukesh: “Surely the competition among us was a huge push. It’s one of the reasons why Indian chess is where it is right now. We train together, compete against each other and most of us are good friends. In classical chess at least, I have pulled ahead quite a bit.”
He sees Arjun Erigaisi (2710 Elo) as his prickliest rival in the lot. “We’re friends, but I try not to give away too much. Even a little information can be quite an advantage. I guess it’s the same for him (and others) too."
The Candidates is a huge goal for Gukesh. The upcoming World Cup will offer spots to its top-3 finishers. "Last year I wasn't even thinking about it. This year I guess I have a fair shot."
Gukesh attended full-time school only till Class 4. He spent his pre-teens travelling to tournaments around the world, chasing the title of youngest-ever GM & sleeping in baggage claim areas at airports overnight to cut costs.
Gukesh: “Youngest-ever GM sounded like a fancy thing. But I realised after I became GM that the record really doesn’t mean much. Chasing it was pure misery. Although I regret putting myself under so much pressure, it turned out to be a great life lesson.” Image

Wie Gukesh in eine Krise geriet, den Kandidaten-Traum schon aufgegeben hatte, fast Schach aufgegeben hätte und am Ende doch als Sieger dasteht:

https://www.hindustantimes.com/sports/others/gukesh-confirms-his-candidates-spot-101703957927677.html