Bitte oder Registrieren, um Beiträge und Themen zu erstellen.

Global Chess League

Eine Franchise-Liga, angeschoben vom indischen Konzern Tech Mahindra und der FIDE. Eine Menge Geld ist im Spiel - und entsprechend viele Elopunkte. Aus Deutschland allerdings spielt nur Elisabeth Pähtz.

Livepartien, Ergebnisse, Tabelle

Homepage

Interessant ist aus deutscher Perspektive, dass welt.de nach den Armageddon-Turnieren gleich die nächste Schachveranstaltung überträgt. Dürfen wir daraus schließen, dass der erste Schachversuch des Zeitungshauses erfolgreich war?

Werbung

Die FIDE teilt mit:

Thursday, 22 Jun 2023 14:19
GCL makes its grand debut: "A brand new revolution in an ancient sport"

The inaugural edition of the Global Chess League officially opened in Dubai in a ceremony which saw tech entrepreneurs, big sports names and chess fans celebrate the launching of a project which will showcase the game in a completely different light

Dubai, known for its innovative spirit, has become home to another pioneering project, this time in the world of chess. Following the match for the title of World Champion in 2021 between Magnus Carlsen and Ian Nepomniachtchi, the city has again embraced chess, but this time, it seems, on a much grander scale.

The ceremony marked the beginning of an exciting new chapter for chess, as the Global Chess League aims to revolutionize the game and expand its reach globally.

India's tech giant Tech Mahindra partnered with the International Chess Federation (FIDE) to launch the first chess franchise, the Global Chess League, which promises to make the game more accessible to everyone, regardless of their level of play.

Among the VIPs at the event were HE Saeed Mohammed Hareb (Secretary General of the Dubai Sports Council), Anand Mahindra (Chairman of the Mahindra Group), Arkady Dvorkovich (President of the International Chess Federation, FIDE) famous Australian cricketer Steve Waugh, Indian tennis star Sania Mirza as well as CP Gurnani (Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of Tech Mahindra). They were joined by Parag Shah, Director - Global Chess League and Member of Group Executive Board, Mahindra Group, and Jagdish Mitra, Chairperson of the Global Chess League Board.

It all started with a tweet

Speaking at the ceremony, the visionary behind the Global Chess League, Anand Mahindra (Chairman of the Mahindra Group), shared the story about how the event was born.

"In 2020, I was watching the Chess Olympiad online. I got hooked on it because of the commentary of some young chess enthusiasts who also happen to be comedians. I tweeted about this, complimenting them. One of them replied to my tweet and threw me a challenge – if you like this, why don't you create a chess league as you did in other sports? So, I started this.

A few days later [FIDE President] Arkady Dvorkovich got in touch saying he saw my tweet, and here we are today", Anand Mahindra said.

"Some of the best ideas in the world happen from a series of happy coincidences", the Chairman of the Mahindra Group said.

He emphasized the league's commitment to advancing chess and fostering its growth worldwide.

We are making "a brand new revolution in an ancient sport", Mahindra concluded.

"The Champions League of Chess"

The President of the International Chess Federation (FIDE) Arkady Dvorkovich thanked Tech Mahindra and the Indian companies taking part for putting the Global Chess League together, creating a partnership "built on trust".

"We started this journey a long time ago, and the story Anand Mahindra told about how this whole thing started is true. This project brings a fresh look at chess and more technology – something we sometimes forget when organizing traditional events", the President of FIDE said.

Dvorkovich highlighted the important role the Global Chess League will play in expanding the game of chess and furthering its global reach.

"We want to make a Champions League of chess, and I hope we succeed in it", said Dvorkovich.

An eye on chess in every part of the world

One of the key aspects of the Global Chess League is the aim to use new technologies to provide better and more understandable access to chess to a broader (non-chess) audience.

Tech Mahindra's MD & CEO, CP Gurnani shared his company's plan to leverage technology and digital transformation to enhance the chess experience for fans worldwide.

"When I went to look at the venue, I had tears in my eyes. Not because of the journey we took, but how the sport will now look. I saw dozens of cameras in the playing venue and some of them belong to global sports broadcasters from all around the world. That gave me a huge confidence that at the launch of the Global Chess League we are witnessing a movement which will translate into big numbers and transform the game".

CP Gurnani's speech emphasized the league's commitment to embracing innovation and placing fans at the heart of the project across the globe.

The guests were then shown a video – The Big Move – taking them on a journey through history, transition and the future of chess. The video was accompanied by an act featuring dancers whose performance symbolized the evolution of the game and its integration into contemporary society. 

Chess in every sport

Cricket is a big game in India and the Gulf area, so it was no surprise that the audience erupted with applause when Australian cricket legend Steve Waugh appeared on stage. He was joined by Indian tennis star Sania Mirza.

The two took part in a discussion about the connection between chess and cricket.

"The more I think about it, the more I see that, in a lot of ways, cricket is very similar to chess. A lot of strategy, thinking ahead, planning", Steve Waugh said.

"I was a team captain, and the camera was most often on me. I didn't always want my emotions to be seen. There is a lot of bluffing involved in cricket, and I guess there is some of that in chess in a way – you need to portray confidence even when you feel you're vulnerable", said Waugh.

Talking about the connection between chess and tennis, Sonia Mirza noted that "in tennis, we make small decisions every second, and those decisions are based on what the opponent might do".

"There is a similarity to chess in every sport – in every competition, you need to think ahead and plan how to react to your opponent's move", Mirza noted.

She also reflected on playing the tennis doubles (where Mirza successfully competed with another tennis legend, Martina Hingis) – "in critical moments, you have to take ownership.

The appearance of the Waugh and Mirza highlighted one of Global Chess League's core messages - #ChessInEverySport, emphasizing that the principles of the black and white game have place and application in every other sports competition.

The Global Chess League Trophy

The ceremony featured the presentation of the trophy created by the Italian art & design company Pininfarina, whose CEO Silvio Angori was also present at the ceremony.

The statue is designed to resemble the embodiment of chess, human spirit and strength as the key ideas driving the league.

As the distinguished guests and speakers got up on the stage, the trophy – in silver and white – was lowered down to the stage into the hands of two children.

The children were selected to present the trophy, marking a symbolic passing of the torch to the next generation of chess enthusiasts.

The Team presentation 

Then it was time for the teams competing in the event to come to the stage and greet the audience. Like footballers going out to the pitch ahead of a big event, the players were all accompanied by small children, with the trophy next to them.

Iconic chess players and world heavyweights, such as former world champion Viswanathan Anand, former women's world champion Hou Yifan, two-time world champion candidate Ian Nepomniachtchi, Levon Aronian, Maxime Vachier-Lagrave and others were welcomed with huge applause. Never has the world seen so many of the best chess players together in one place. 

The stage is set

The Global Chess League's opening ceremony set the stage for an extraordinary event never before seen in the chess world. 

While for the next 11 days Dubai will be the world capital of chess, it will forever be the birthplace of a project which aims to reshape the game and achieve a prominence that the sport has never had before.

Six teams, with 36 top-class world chess players, will take part.

The first match of the Global Chess League will take place on June 22nd at 5:30 PM at the Le Méridien Hotel (the tournament venue) between Triveni Continental Kings and upGrad Mumba Masters.

Text: Milan Dinic

Photos: Tech Mahindra Gloabal Chess League Facebook

About Tech Mahindra Global Chess League

The Global Chess League is the world's first and largest official franchise league of its kind, with chess players from all over the world competing in a unique joint team format. It is a joint venture between FIDE and Tech Mahindra, a part of the Mahindra Group. GCL will feature male and female chess champions competing in the same team. Playing on the popular Rapid format, the league's joint male-female teams will have the rare distinction of being a unique multiplayer team in the world of professional sports. In addition, the League will be the first ever Live televised chess event of its kind that will help offer fans a unique viewing experience. FIDE and Tech Mahindra will explore innovative ways to promote the game through interactive technology-enabled platforms by leveraging next-generation technologies such as 5G, artificial intelligence, and virtual reality, among others.

The first edition of the Global Chess League (GCL) will begin on June 21, 2023, and end on July 2, 2023. In the first season, ten round-robin matches will be played among six teams competing (six players in each team), followed by a final match between the top two teams.

For more information on Tech Mahindra Global Chess League, please contact:

Abhilasha Gupta
Global Corporate Communications and Public Affairs

Abhilasha.Gupta@TechMahindra.com
media.relations@techmahindra.com

Der DSB meldet:

Global Chess League mit Elisabeth Pähtz startet am 21. Juni

16. Juni 2023

Logo der Global Chess League

Der Weltschachverband FIDE und das indische IT-Unternehmen Tech Mahindra (über 120.000 Mitarbeiter) gehen ab dem 21. Juni mit einem Mannschaftsturnier der Superlative an den Start. Bis zum 2. Juli werden in Dubai sechs Mannschaften mit je sechs Spielern im Schnellschachmodus doppelrundig aufeinandertreffen. Aus den vorher auf Auswahlkategorien aufgeteilten Spielern durften sich sechs indische Unternehmen ihre jeweilige Mannschaft zusammenstellen. In der Mannschaft "SG Alpine Warriors" geht als einzige Deutsche Elisabeth Pähtz an den Start. Zu ihrem Team gehören neben drei indischen Weltklassespielern, die US-Amerikanerin Irina Krush und mit dem Norweger Magnus Carlsen kein Geringerer als der beste Schachspieler der Welt.

Begleitet wird das Turnier im Vorfeld von Werbeveranstaltungen in New York, Paris, London und Berlin. Das sogenannte "Kick-off" in Berlin fand am 11. Juni bei den Schachfreunden Berlin statt und wurde von GM Sebastian Siebrecht begleitet. Weiter unten finden Sie mehr Informationen darüber. Doch zuvor ein Blick auf die sechs Mannschaften der Global Chess League.

Die Mannschaften

SG Alpine Warriors

Unterstützer/Namensgeber: SG Sports (APL Apollo), 1986 gegründetes Baustoffunternehmen aus Indien

NameSEloLand
GM Magnus Carlsen2829
GM Arjun Erigaisi2714
GM Dommaraju Gukesh2629
GM Rameshbabu Praggnanandhaa2587
GM Irina Krush2400
GM Elisabeth Pähtz2373

Balan Alaskan Knights

Unterstützer/Namensgeber: Punit Balan Group, Sportfilmunternehmen aus Indien

NameSEloLand
GM Jan Nepomnjaschtschi2760
GM Nodirbek Abdusattorow2703
GM Teimur Radschabow2694
GM Raunak Sadhwani2567
GM Tan Zhongyi2517
GM Nino Batsjaschwili2358

Chingari Gulf Titans

Unterstützer/Namensgeber: Chingari, 2018 gegründeter Softwareentwickler aus Indien

NameSEloLand
GM Jan-Krzysztof Duda2794
GM Daniil Dubow2727
GM Schachrijar Mamedjarow2694
GM Nihal Sarin2672
GM Alexandra Kostenjuk2524
IM Polina Schuwalowa2357

Ganges Grandmasters

Unterstützer/Namensgeber: Insurekot Sports Private Limited, 2001 gegründetes Sportunternehmen aus Indien

NameSEloLand
GM Richard Rapport2761
GM Viswanathan Anand2731
GM Leinier Dominguez Perez2706
GM Andrej Jesipenko2682
GM Yifan Hou2540
GM Bela Chotenaschwili2414

Triveni Continental Kings

Unterstützer/Namensgeber: Triveni Engineering & Industries Limited, 1932 gegründeter Zuckerhersteller aus Indien

NameSEloLand
GM Liren Ding2830
GM Yangyi Yu2734
GM Wei Yi2716
GM Jonas Buhl Bjerre2535
GM Kateryna Lagno2494
GM Nana Dsagnidse2453

upGrad Mumba Masters

Unterstützer/Namensgeber: U Sports, 2014 gegründetes Sportunternehmen aus Indien

NameSEloLand
GM Maxime Vachier-Lagrave2767
GM Alexander Grischuk2716
GM Santosh Gujrathi Vidit2665
GM Jawochir Sindarow2596
GM Humpy Koneru2469
GM Harika Dronavalli2450

Auftaktveranstaltung in Berlin

Sebastian Siebrecht stellte sich dabei u.a. der Herausforderung im Blitzschach 1 Minute gegen 5, seinen GM-Titel unter Beweis zu stellen. Darüberhinaus gab er den Teilnehmern der Veranstaltung, darunter viele Kinder und Jugendliche, Tips in Workshops. Parallel dazu fand ein Schnellturnier statt, welches GM Marco Baldauf gewinnen konnte.

Spitze des Schnellturniers

Pl.TitelNameLandEloVerein/OrtPkt.Buch
1GMMarco Baldauf 2406Schachfreunde Berlin 19037,551,0
 IMMichael Klenburg 2363 7,551,0
3IMNikolas Wachinger 2332SAbt SV Werder Bremen7,548,5
4 Leonard Richter 2279Schachgemeinschaft Leipzig7,545,5
5FMMagnus Ermitsch 2199SK Doppelbauer Kiel von 19107,049,5
6FMJohannes Tschernatsch 2194SC Empor Potsdam 19527,046,0
7 Norman Daum 2152SC Rotation Pankow7,044,0
8GMRainer Polzin 2431Schachfreunde Berlin 19036,550,5
9FMMartin Jogstad 2263Düsseldorfer Schachklub 14/256,547,5
10IMLars Thiede 2389Schachfreunde Berlin 19036,547,0