Bitte oder Registrieren, um Beiträge und Themen zu erstellen.

Harikrishna

11h 10 tweets 3 min read Twitter logo Read on Twitter

"We were a team of three introverts. As crazy as it sounds, I was the chattiest person in the group."

Indian GM P Harikrishna assisted recently crowned women's chess world champion Ju Wenjun in the match. Their collaboration arrived as surprise news.

For @htTweets Image

The 37 yr-old Indian GM and China’s Ju, go back a long way. They have been Shanghai teammates in the Chinese chess league. In Harikrishna's first season with the side in 2008, they finished as champions. Image
“We weren’t sure which way it would go, so Wei Yi (teammate) and I began preparing for the tie-breaks during the final game.” Thankfully, Ju managed to find her way through a tricky endgame, and they celebrated her fourth world title over a hot pot dinner and called it a night.

@HariChess agrees that working extensively with engines as a second can lower one's "sense of danger" towards positions. He, however, doesn’t believe that the job in itself is indicative of putting one’s playing career on the back burner.

“In this era, any analysis you do can be used to benefit your own game. I did pretty well in the French league and the Prague Masters while working with Ju. For sure, I want to do this again (being a second) if there are future offers.”

Even as Gukesh D stands on the cusp of surpassing Viswanathan Anand as India’s No 1 GM, Harikrishna was the first to do so in the live ratings. Anand’s Rd 4 loss to Sergei Karjakin at the Candidates in March 2016 had Harikrishna zoom ahead in the live ratings for a day.

"My bigger hope was Anand faring well at the Candidates. Me, going ahead in the ratings then didn’t seem all that important...“I’m pretty certain Gukesh will go past Anand (in ratings). I think he’s a lot stronger than his ratings suggest.”

Harikrishna is back home in the quiet village of Vysoký Újezd, near Prague. Lately, he has taken to beach volleyball and even joined a chess-boxing session on a lark, training with chess-boxing champion Marcel Valentin. "I love trying new things," he says.